'/>

Thursday 25 September 2008

Yum Yum Couscous and Chicken

This is the meal that we had last night, I had a chicken that needed to be cooked, so I just roasted that off in the oven but when I went to my vegetable rack thinking I would have enough fresh vegetables for the roast dinner, it was nearly bare (its been a hard week) so I had to think of something different that is not only healthy and nutritious but that is ‘nice’ so that my children and husband will enjoy it.
Having a hunt around the pantry umming and ahhring as the chicken cooked this is the final result.
This meal took a fair time for me to cook as I was cooking the chicken from fresh however it would be a good quick recipe for left over chicken.

Yum Yum Couscous and Chicken

Roast Chicken (I used about 1½ breasts for the 4 of us but it depends on how much meat you like.)
200g Couscous
600ml Vegetable stock
1 Leek
1 small yellow courgette
1 Carrot
½ red pepper
½ yellow pepper
1 tin bean sprouts
3 dried apricots
Small handful sultanas
1 tsp Smoked paprika
½ tsp Ground cumin
1 tsp Ground cinnamon

I chopped up the leek, peppers, carrot, courgette and apricots and put them in a pan. I added the sultana’s, paprika, cumin and cinnamon.
I mixed in about 200ml of vegetable stock and simmered for about 10mins until the carrots were just starting to soften.
I covered 200g of couscous with 400ml of boiling stock and leave for approx 5 mins until all the stock is absorbed and then fluff up with a fork
I chopped up the chicken into bite size pieces.
Once the couscous was ready I drained the vegetable mix but reserved the sauce, I mixed the vegetables and couscous together and put a good helping in a bowl and sprinkled the chopped up chicken on the top. I then drizzled a small amount of the sauce over the chicken
The verdict: The Husband = lovely we can have that again!
My Boy = ‘Nice!’
My Girl = Yum Yum Couscous (this was said whilst the tummy was rubbed and the lips were licked!!!)

1 comment:

daytribe said...

Mmm. Sounds delicious. We'll have to try this one.